We are aware of Amazon's announcement and are actively investigating how it may impact our Send to Kindle feature—but no matter what, we’ll handle the necessary changes on the backend, so members will not need to do anything differently.
Overall this is good news! Since Amazon has added EPUB support for Kindle, and many publishers provide EPUB files for their books on NetGalley, sending that format to Kindle will not cause a disruption. We expect to start sending EPUB files in place of MOBI files in June. And if the publisher has only provided a PDF file, that will continue to be sent to Kindle per usual.
We highly recommend using the NetGalley Shelf app, but you can also use a Kindle or Kindle app to read NetGalley files. (Note that the NetGalley Shelf app is the exclusive way to listen to audiobooks made available on NetGalley.)
1. Go to your Amazon.com account to find your Kindle email address.
Your Kindle email address is different than your regular email address. When you buy a Kindle device or download a Kindle app, Amazon assigns a Kindle email to you, as shown in your Amazon account.
- In your Amazon account, go to "Content Library."
- Click "Preferences," which is the third tab to the right.
- Scroll down to “Personal Document Settings.” Click the arrow on the right to expand the Personal Document Settings section and you’ll see an email address under your ‘Send-To-Kindle E-Mail Settings’ (it will be something like email@example.com). You’ll need this for your NetGalley Profile.
2. While in your Amazon account, make sure firstname.lastname@example.org is an approved email to send to your Kindle.
In that same Personal Documents Settings section scroll down a bit to find the “Approved Personal Document Email List." Click "Add a new approved e-mail address," enter email@example.com and click Add Address. Please make sure you add firstname.lastname@example.org and NOT email@example.com - note that there is no R.
3. Make sure that your Kindle email address is saved in your NetGalley account.
- Sign into NetGalley.com, and click into your Profile from the main menu bar at the top of the screen.
- In the Devices section, scroll down to "Send to Kindle" and click "EDIT."
- Enter your @kindle.com address in the Kindle Email field. Click "SAVE."
4. Find the book you want to read on your Kindle.
In your NetGalley account, go to your Shelf section to see a list of all the books you’ve been approved to access. Click on a book to view the available reading options in the center of the page. If you see the Send to Kindle button, just press it once and the book should appear in the Documents section of your device, app and Kindle library.
5. Check your Kindle App or Device
It can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour for your file to arrive. Do make sure your device or app is connected to WiFi.
Please note: all NetGalley files come through as DOCS and not as BOOKS.
- If there is no Send to Kindle button available for the book click here.
- Digital review copies on NetGalley are not compatible with Kindle for PC/Mac since it does not support Personal Documents.
Have another device?
Check out our Device Guide for a list of supported devices and instructions for downloading your approved books.