The file type that you’re seeing is correct since it’s a Protected PDF or EPUB that you’re downloading. The program you’ll need to open and read the file is Adobe Digital Editions. Here is how to make sure the file opens correctly:
Once you have Adobe Digital Editions installed (click here to download), select Adobe Digital Editions as the preferred program for these file types: .acsm &.epub.
On a PC:
- Go to your Control Panel and select Default Programs then Set Associations for BOTH file types (.acsm and .epub).
- The two file types that need to be associated with Adobe Digital Editions are .acsm & .epub files. You may need to restart your computer, then go to NetGalley and click the Download button– when it says “open with” make sure that Adobe Digital Editions is the selected application in that window. If not, you can browse for it.
On a MAC:
- Right-click the file you want to change the associations/default program for (the .acsm file you downloaded).
- Click “Get Info.”
- Click the drop-down for the “Open With” section.
- Select the program you want to be associated with this file type (Adobe Digital Editions), and this will be the default program. If you don’t see it in the list, select "other" and file the application in the Applications folder.
- Click “Change All” so that all files with this extension/type will open with this program.