If you find that your file is missing characters, specifically th, fi, fl:
- When some characters are not rendering correctly in the PDF - especially fi, th etc - it's usually because ligatures have been enabled within the originating document. Ligatures in text do not render properly after they have been converted to Amazon's own proprietary format. How they look on e-files, PDFs etc does not relate, I'm afraid, to how it looks on a Kindle.
Create a new version with ligatures turned off. Below is how to do so for InDesign CS5.
· In advanced mode you will see paragraph styles. If not go to Windows>styles>Paragraph style.....
· or press F11 to call out Paragraph style window
· Go to edit your basic paragraph style or any other paragraph style you have.
· Under paragraph style options window> Basic Character formats> uncheck Ligatures.
- Make sure all pages of the PDF are the same size. The PDF should not have a single-page cover and then double-page spreads –- all must be single-pages.
- The PDF cannot be protected by any other security measure (password protection or already encrypted). You will have the option to select DRM protection on the file, so that it cannot be shared, copied or forwarded, when the file imports into NetGalley.
- To help the PDF render well on the Kindle device, remove cropping and reduce margin size, as illustrated here: http://www.freewaregenius.com/optimize-pdfs-for-reading-on-your-kindle-3-crop-then-convert-to-a-kindle-friendly-format/
The file should also be optimized for the web. Here are some tips:
- Web optimization will make the file is smaller (typically 2-10 MB vs. 50 MB not optimized). If the file is optimized for the web, it will take significantly less time for you to upload and readers to download.
- PDFs can be optimized very easily for the web. To do so, open your PDF in Acrobat Pro, click on the Advanced tab and then click on PDF Optimizer. This shows you what is going to be optimized. Click OK, save the file and then upload to NetGalley.
- Note: Once a PDF is uploaded/encrypted, the settings cannot be changed. To change settings, you must upload the PDF again.
Images – reduce to 72 dpi from 300 dpi
Fonts – un-embed as many fonts as possible, especially common ones such as Helvetica, Times, Garamond
Transparencies – remove or reduce resolution to low. For example:
- Transparency level: 75
- Line Art & Text: 288 dpi
- Gradient and Meshes: 144
- Do NOT convert text to outlines
- Convert all strokes to outlines – OK
- Do NOT clip complex regions
- Preserve any overprint – OK
Discard these object settings:
- Form submissions, import and reset actions
- Flatten form fields
- Discard all alternate images
- Discard embedded page thumbnails
- Discard document tags
- Convert smooth lines to curves
- Detect and merge image fragments
- Discard embedded print settings
- Discard embedded search index
- Discard bookmarks
- Flatten images/any layers
Discard user related information
- Discard all comments, forms, multimedia
- Discard document information and metadata
- Discard all object data
- Discard file attachments
- Discard external cross references
- Discard private data from other applications
- Discard hidden layer content and flatten visible layers